The Art of Communication

To characterize communication as an art form is to recognize the creative and imaginative ways we use to relate to one another. The artistic aspect introduces itself when our innate abilities to communicate are challenged by the very nature of the engagement. According to popular research only 7% of our communication is related to the words we use. The remaining 93% is attributed to our tone of voice and our body language.


the nonverbal: body language


How we position our bodies when engaging another person can build trust and a feeling of safety. Positioning involves changing the perceived power dynamic through sitting, angling, sight line, and overall demeanor. Exploring the 'non-threatening' angle as well as the personal space of someone who are interacting with is imperative to creating a safe environment of fruitful engagement. 

The vibration of our voice

The tone of our voice communicates much more than the words spoken. Our voices carry the vibration within our state of being. If we are restless, anxious, angry, hurt or overwhelmed, our voices will carry that feeling to the person we are interacting with. On some level they will feel it, and not just hear it. Being mindful of our tone involves being acutely aware of our inner feeling. In order to be at the level of awareness we must be present and mindful of our current state, and how the engagement with another is affecting our mental, emotional state. 



To communicate with another through touch is among the purest forms of exchange between two people. How we touch, 'The Entering' into another's space (however they have defined that space), the feeling that we infuse into and from that space through touch, all come into play in this form of communication. It also brings into question of how to hold hands with someone who is ill. In Hospice Palliative Care we have a way of holding a dying person's hands. It is called the 'Hospice Handshake', and it serves to communicate the fundamental cornerstone of this field of service. For a more demonstrative example, it is featured in the very popular drama film, 'Forest Gump'. In the film is what is called a 'Hospice Moment', within which the 'Hospice Handshake' is clearly exemplified.